Reading the Waves 2012
Script Writing Competition –
from the Reading Room/Seomar Leughaidh in association with CuillinFM
It has been one whole year since the inception of The Reading Room/ Seomar Leughaidh (formerly Skye Literary Salon). We have a committee, a new venue, a sister programme on Cuillin FM also called The Reading Room (Radio Show), reviews on BBC Alba, NorthWords Now, WHFP and many others. Our poetry and prose competition was a tremendous success, so, we are expanding both our repertoire and yours!
We are looking for 15-minute radio plays to be performed on a Reading Room Radio Show Special programme broadcast by CuillinFM .
The theme for your radio play is Island Rumours / Fathan an eilein
The closing date for submission is midday on 30 June. Winners will be announced at the August event of the Skye Reading Room (date to be confirmed)
And, just to help you out, we have a script writing workshop with the highly acclaimed Ian MacPherson on 23rd April in The Skeabost Country House Hotel between 2pm and 5pm. (please book via website)
You can submit entries as an individual or as a group – entrants must be over 16 years old.
Submission of Scripts:
Please read and follow these guidelines:
● Scripts must be 15 minutes in length (this equates to approximately 15 -18 pages). The best way to estimate the length of your script is to read it aloud.
● Scripts must be suitable for broadcast on the community radio station during the day
● Have a minimum of 2 characters and a maximum of 4 characters.
● Scripts can be submitted in Gaelic and/or English – there will be a winner and a highly-commended in both Gaelic and English.
● Submissions must be formatted as a script, include the play’s title as a header on each page, have no identifying author/s name anywhere on the script and be submitted with the Reading the Waves cover sheet giving the author/s names and contact details.
● Entries will not be returned to you so please ensure you keep copies.
● Entries can be sent to us via email at the Reading Room website – https://theskyereadingroom.wordpress.com/ or by post to Charlotte Johnson, Reading the Waves 2012, CuillinFM, Stormyhill Road, Portree, Isle of Skye, IV51 9DY.
Entry fee: There is an entry fee of £5 per script submitted – payment by Paypal can be made via the Reading Room website at the time of submission and cheques are payable to The Reading Room and include with submissions.
The Reading the Waves 2012 prize: Winners will have their scripts performed at the September Seomar Leughaidh/Reading Room event. Winning scripts will be published on the Skye Reading Room website and winners will be interviewed for the Reading Room Radio Show and have their winning entries recorded and broadcast on CuillinFM. By submitting a script, entrants are agreeing to all of the aforementioned.
Please note: The Skye Reading Room & CuillinFM are unable to pay winners any expenses associated with attending the September Reading Room event or the recording of interviews and plays to be broadcast on CuillinFM. Where winners are not able to attend events or be interviewed, the Reading Room will make suitable alternative arrangements to have plays performed. By submitting scripts entrants are agreeing to all of the terms of the competition.
READING THE WAVES 2012 ENTRY FORM
The Skye Reading Room/Seomar Leughaidh in association with CuillinFM
Theme: Island Rumours
Category : Please tick the relevant category/ies you are entering:
1. Gaelic script □
2. English script □
Title(s) of Script(s):
Please Send: – Your scripts of 15 minutes in appropriate script format – double
spaced and printed on one side of A4 paper only
Please send your submissions and this completed entry form to Charlotte Johnson, Reading the Waves 2012, CuillinFM, Stormyhill road, Portree, Isle of Skye, IV51 9DY or by email to https://theskyereadingroom.wordpress.com/
Please ensure your entries have the title & page numbers printed on each page and please
do not put your name anywhere on the work to be submitted to the judges.
Closing Date: 30 June 2012
We regret we cannot return submissions.