Event: SATURDAY, 6 JUNE
RAASAY HOUSE, ISLE OF RAASAY
ATLAS Arts invites you to a day of activities on the Island of Raasay to celebrate the launch of Patterns of Flora | Mapping Seven Raasay Habitats, an ATLAS commission by artist, Frances Priest, and botanist, Stephen Bungard.
BOOKING IS ADVISABLE TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT
There will be a variety of activities on offer throughout the day. All will depart from Raasay House, a 10-minute walk from the pier.
11.15am – 1.15pm: Tai Chi (all ages although younger children should be accompanied by an adult)
11.30am – 1.30pm: Botanist-led walks with Stephen Bungard (wear suitable clothing)
3 – 5pm: Haiku poetry workshop with Ken Cockburn (as part of a botanist-led walk with Stephen Bungard, wear suitable clothing)
11.30 – 1pm & 2 – 3.30pm: Kayaking the coastline with Raasay House (aged 8+)
3 – 4.30pm: Cyanotype and printing workshop for children (accompanied by an adult)
There will be tours of Raasay House regularly throughout the day, starting from 10am.
- There will also be a talk and book launch by Sir John Lister-Kaye at 6.30pm, on Friday, 5 June.
- As part of the project, a map has been commissioned that celebrates the diverse plant life of Raasay. It offers an imaginative survey of seven individual botanical walks through different habitats which were the inspiration for the Patterns of Flora. The routes vary in difficulty and duration, each offering an insight into the flora of this beautiful island. Visitors are welcome to purchase a map (£1 each) from Raasay House and explore the island at their own pace.
- Raasay House cafe will be open all day for refreshments and lunches, with a range of options such as soups, flatbread melts and teas and coffees (full day-time menu).
- There will be a barbecue from 5pm on the terrace of Raasay House, with a variety of food options to be purchased; includes vegetarian options.
- For details of sailings from Sconser to Raasay, please visit the Calmac website. The last sailing from Raasay to Sconser is 8.30pm.
- TO BOOK AN ACTIVITY PLEASE CONTACT US ON email@example.com or call 01478611143
ATLAS is an arts organisation dedicated to visual arts projects and education in Skye and Lochalsh, Scotland. An organisation “without walls”, we are uniquely placed to help to deliver a contemporary arts programme in a rural setting. We support innovative projects that use Skye and Lochalsh as their canvas. The focus is on the creation of works that are not fixed to, or by, a permanent gallery space. We provide a platform for the creation of art that encompasses a sense of place by engaging with Skye and Lochalsh’s unique setting and rich history.