The Reading Room will once again participate in the holiday event, Classical Celebration. The audience will be treated to a sampling of gifted poets/writers who have shared their work in our Open Mic events.
According to Angus Ross, of Skye Chamber Music, last year’s December Classical Celebration had the biggest turnout that they have ever seen, for an evening of fantastic music and words performed by local musicians and writers. SCM are repeating the experience again this year on Monday, 11th December, in the Fingal Centre at the High School in Portree, at 7:00 p.m. There will be music to bring you into the hall; music, song and words for the main programme; and music while you dine. Supper is included – but please bring your own drink.
It is an evening for you to enjoy with your friends, FREE OF CHARGE, and while there is no need to bring anything, organizers will be happy for contributions to the supper table: Reading Room associates have been asked to bring cheese, biscuits, grapes, or savouries. Any monetary offerings are welcome to be dropped into the boxes to defray the costs for the evening. Angus says everyone was very generous last year and the surplus was split three ways, between Island Chorus, Reading Room and Skye Chamber Music. This allowed SCM to count the event as a fundraising event in the application for their grant this year, which helped tremendously.
There will be a table decoration competition again, so bring your own table decorations, but no real candles please (the School PFI clearly does not want the risk of becoming a big candle later in the
The programme goes something like this:
Classical Celebration December 11, 2017
7.00 pm – Pre-concert introduction.
- Violin (Wendy Riva)
- O Sole Mio
Shostakovich Waltz no. 2
Kalinka, Can-Can and Paganini Caprice no. 24
7.15 pm – Concert Start
- Haydn Trio “Gypsy”: Bar Purser (cello), Alan Donald (violin) & Chris Watkiss (piano).
- Island Chorus: “Les Miserables” medley.
- Reading Room: Poetry/Prose
- Schubert Trio: “Shepherd on the Rock” – Rhona Coogan (soprano), John Huckett (Clarinet) & Chris Watkiss (piano).
- Debussy Petite Suite. Piano Duet – Elaine Ferguson & Chris Watkiss.
8.30 Supper – Incidental Music.
- Clarinet (Lynne Armistace-Brown)
- Marie-Louise MacDonald (Clarsach) – not confirmed.
- Duo no. 3 for Flute and Viola – Meg Rosher (Flute), Alan Donald (Viola)
- Dvorak Slavonic dances. Piano Duet (Kevin & Chris Watkiss) – not confirmed!
For information about our programmes, membership or for other questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on Facebook at Reading Room – Skye.
We hope to see many of our friends there. The Reading Room would like to wish everyone a Happy Holiday Season.